Monday, July 7, 2008

wimble- ka- don

“Whatever be the result ,one thing is sure; the winner of this years Wimbledon is a name starting with R.”, quipped the commentator. Amazed at the prophecy and then suddenly realizing how pathetic the one liner was I switched off the idiot box. With the excitement for the finals mounting on ,a 35-minute rain delay wasn’t doing anything to ease it.

I have always, on principles, been on the side of the winner. It was obvious then that I had been chanting “Go Roger” all day long. And to say that I have been let down by his defeat would be saying too little.
“Complacence is a crime “ is a motto that has proudly hung on my bedroom door since God knows when, and on Sunday all Roger seemed to say was “Yeah, I’m a criminal”. Wild forehands , tame backhands and a lethargy that would have suited a Sunday afternoon anywhere but Wimbledon. And to see a rabbit-like-Nadal run all over the court
hitting winners from all corners got me thinking if this is really the end of the classy Federer era.

Yes it is and I think we should all go in unision:

Vamos Rafa!!

1 comment:

Foram said...

Your post is an open invitation for me to gloat and that I will do. Vamos Rafa indeed. As the Olympics have shown again, the Federer era may indeed be seeing its pitiful demise soon.